The people of Mount Calvary make a difference in Boulder and the world in many different ways.
We make a difference in the lives of children locally and abroad by:
- providing the ministry of Rainbow Childcare Center, located at Mount Calvary, which offers high quality, affordable childcare to families in South Boulder.
- supporting the ministry of Anchor House, which is building a transitional home for foster youth ($2000).
- supporting the ministry of Rainbow Trail Lutheran Camp ($300).
- supporting the Huruma Centre in Iringa, Tanzania, a children’s home in Iringa, Tanzania, which provides a safe home, nurture, nutrition, and education for children who, for a variety of reasons, have no family or others to care for them ($5,931).
We make a difference to those living with mental illness by :
- Being a supporting sponsor of the Interfaith Network on Mental Illness ($500)
- Hosting a National Alliance on Mental Illness (NAMI) Family-to-Family class led by members Bill and Gwen Wharton, for families, partners and friends of individuals with mental illness. The course is designed to facilitate a better understanding of mental illness, increase coping skills and empower participants to become advocates for their family members.
We make a difference in the lives of students on the campus of CU-Boulder by:
Donating $5300 to Lutheran Campus Ministry at CU-Boulder, donating meals to the Tuesday Bread and Belonging program, and proudly claiming the title of the most supportive congregation at the annual beer tasting fundraising event. Member, Chris Johnson, serves on the Board of Lutheran Campus Ministry. Member, Bruce Hoelter, attended the Campus Ministry Theological Exploration of Vocation (CMTEV) Gathering held in Indianapolis on October 9-11, 2018.
We make a difference to those living in poverty by:
- Providing financial gifts of $3070 to the ELCA Global Farm Challenge
- Supporting the work of Sister Carmen which provides assistance to residents of East Boulder County who are in need, without discrimination ($2000).
- Providing food for hungry people locally by a monthly food collection for the Emergency Family Assistance Association and donating funds ($60) for EFAA’s work helping those in our community whose immediate needs for food, shelter and other basic necessities cannot be adequately met by other means and supports their efforts toward financial stability or self-sufficiency
- Serving a monthly meal at Boulder Bridge House which provides a range of programs and services to help adults experiencing homeless have access to the resources they need for a better future.
We make a difference in the lives of immigrants and refugees:
Mount Calvary has trained members to be Guardian Angels, supporting minors in immigration court and financially supports the work of Lutheran Immigration and Refugee Services ($810) which envisions a world where all migrants and refugees are protected, embraced and empowered in a world of just and welcoming communities.
We make a difference to those impacted by natural disasters:
This year Mount Calvary has given $2225 to Lutheran Disaster Response which brings God’s hope, healing and renewal to people whose lives have been disrupted by disasters in the United States and around the world.
We make a difference in the lives of those in prison:
Mount Calvary supports the ministry of New Beginnings Worshiping Community based inside the walls of the Denver Women’s Correctional Facility whose mission is to transform shattered lives to wholeness with the love of Jesus Christ by participating in the greeting card collection and by financial support ($300).
We make a difference as part of the Rocky Mountain Synod of the ELCA
As the Rocky Mountain Synod, together we proclaim and embody God’s unconditional love for the sake of the world. In 2018 we have committed $14,000 for this work.