The ELCA World Hunger Global Farm Challenge was held here at Mount Calvary during the month of August 2018. The fund challenge is to support the agriculture-related programs of the ELCA World Hunger, our church’s ministry to end hunger and poverty.
Mount Calvary Lutheran Church raised $2,070.00 and there was a matching gift of $1000 from the Jean Danielson and Neil Olien memorial fund for a total gift of $3,070.00!!
Here is a breakdown of how the funds will be dispersed:
- $1000: Oxen & plow (a gift that can double or triple a farmer’s annual harvest!)
- $715: Two goats, two pigs, a dozen chickens, seeds, farming tools, agricultural training and support
- $500: A cow
- $250: A fish farm (a pond and fast growing fish like tilapia)
- $200: Community garden (land, good soil, drought resistant seeds)
- $150: Fruit tree nursery
- $50: Two goats (goats survive in harsh climates and provide milk)
- $40: Four chicks
- $30: One piglet
- $30: Two roosters
- $25: Farming tools
- $20: Honeybees (bees produce beeswax products, honey, and pollinate plants)
- $10: A tree
God, help us to serve our siblings in Christ and end hunger for good. Amen.